So here’s photographic evidence of sock knitting.
First up, the socks from Knitting Vintage Socks.
These are hanging in Meliss’a studio with some of her works-in-progress. (They look a bit puckery on their own, but are gorgeous on.)
Once I finished that pair, I decided it was time to make sure I really understood sock architecture, so I knit up this pair for Melissa without looking at any patterns or books. (I did phone my friend Chris to double check my plans before I began turning the heel.)
After that I knit up a pair of Hydrangea socks from The Ecclectic Sole, but I rewrot the pattern some.
â€¢ continued the “stems” down the back of the heel as slip stitches
â€¢ worked the gusset stitches in purl to match the rest of the sock
â€¢ worked the twisted ribbing around the entire foot
Doing all this was fun and confidence-building. I liked solving the little puzzles the changes presented. I’d recommend that anyone who wants to learn a bit about socks try making a few design modification when they knit a pair.
You’ll also note the single green toe I added as I was running out of yarn. It tickles me to know I’ll have that hidden inside my shoe when I wear these beauties.
July 03 2009 10:16 am | Uncategorized